Weight loss usually requires eating less and moving more. The second half of that formula can be daunting if your size makes you feel uncomfortable at the gym. Solve that dilemma by tapping into exercise motivation on a grand scale. Of course, it’s especially important to talk with your doctor before beginning any workout routine if you’re significantly overweight or if you’ve been sedentary for a long time. Your health care team can recommend a program that’s safe for you. The good news is that you’re likely to find a range of activities you can enjoy whatever your physical condition. Try these tips to help you get started.
1. Choose the right classes. Many gyms and exercise studios now offer courses for specific groups, including groups for those who are overweight. If your current facilities don’t offer this kind of program, ask them about starting one.
2. Inspire others. You can feel good knowing that your efforts may encourage the surrounding people to become more active. It’s especially gratifying if you can instill healthy habits in your children while they’re young.
3. Burn calories faster. You actually have at least one advantage over smaller people. You burn up more energy doing the exact same number of sit-ups because of your larger body size.
4. Celebrate dramatic changes. It’s difficult to tell if a person loses a single inch off their waist, but big weight losses are obvious. Take pleasure in watching your measurements change. Accept compliments from others graciously.
5. Set intermediate goals. It can be overwhelming to dwell on your final target weight. Establish incremental milestones and reward yourself for reaching them.
6. Improve your health. Looking good in a bikini is nice, but there are more important things in life. Working out helps to get any medical conditions under control, including diabetes and high blood pressure. It could also extend your life and give you more time with your loved ones.
7. Focus on your best assets. Start loving your body now. Maybe you have elegant long fingers or thick lustrous hair.
Effective fitness programs come in all sizes. Find the incentives that work for you. You’ll be rewarded with a trimmer figure and better health.